Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rice is Nice


 So in order to publish this post I needed to preface with Sunday's post about breastfeeding.  While reading all this extreme views on feeding babies there are so many conflicting reports about when to start on rice cereal. I thought that this would be something I wouldn't even consider until Lainey was 6 months old but let's face it- my kid is advanced and it only makes sense she would start rice cereal early too.  She has been showing so many signs that she was ready for a little bit more in her diet.  She stares at us while we eat, reaches for our food and our utensils and opens her mouth as we put food in our own mouths. Needless to say our pediatrician supports feeding babies at 4 months old.  He would support us if we decided to wait as well but after much back and forth I decided to go for it, trust my instincts and not look back.  The kid is a natural and I am so happy that we decided to start this phase!


We love this bowl, a gift from my Aunt MaryLou

We got her all set in her swing seat, adjusted her bib

and explained that she was about to get some Num Nums!!

We started Lainey with 1 Tbsp of rice with 5 Tbsp's of breastmilk.  Let's be clear here, we were basically spoon feeding her milk it was so thin.  Maybe slightly over the top but as mentioned before I am neurotic about all things food related.



Lainey was pretty sure she was going to love what was about to come.  She was all smiles and giggles as Mama and Daddy gushed over her and were just plain giddy with excitement.


Like I said before- She's a natural
HMMMMM what's this?




The first few bites surely dribbled down her chin!

Not sure she likes this?????

Wait YES I DO!!!!!!

Lainey absolutely loved her first rice cereal experience! It was bittersweet for me.  I am so happy that she is a big girl and eating rice cereal and I want her to experience all of the milestones as she is supposed to be but its sad to know that I am no longer the only one feeding her. And she is truly getting big so fast!


Hey do you people have any more of that stuff??
So, tomorrow will be one week of rice cereal.  So far it has had zero affect on her nighttime sleep habits - but she is happy, loving the cereal and in a few weeks we are sure she will love some REAL food as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment